Home » Final Reflection and Theory of Writing » Personal Narrative

Personal Narrative

Personal Narrative

Growing up as kid, I didn’t have a childhood like the other children. When their parents were home spending quality time with their children, my parents were busy with work. Being raised by my grandparents as kids in China, we didn’t read much English, or was not exposed to much English at all. After a few years that have gone by, I was sent to school and at school I didn’t understand what the teacher was saying due to never having experience with this new language. As I slowly learned how to adjust to this new environment, I began to make friends. I soon became aware that English was not my first language which was why I went to ESL for the first five years as a kid. Since English isn’t my first language I find it very difficult and challenging when it came to reading and writing.

Although reading and writing wasn’t that familiar to me as a kid. I did enjoy reading some books. One of my favorite books as a kid was Charlotte’s Web. The reason why I liked this book was because Fern Arable the little girl stood up to her father for trying to kill the little pig. As a kid I thought Fern was a brave and thoughtful girl that would stand up to anyone that tried to harm another living thing. This story gave me some sort of connection I had with the girl. She made me feel like every single life on earth mattered. Meaning she gave determination to me by never giving up on anything even if it involved school work. This book has help me shape who I am as a teenager today because although at times when you feel like giving up, there always that voice you in mind telling you to not give up because all you have to do is just believe in yourself.

Growing up as kids writing was an important subject I had to learn in school, although other kids may have found writing easy. I as a kid found writing very difficult, the reason why I found writing difficult was because I never knew how to start the story or write about anything that came up to my mind. The reason why I as a teenager still hate writing is because I hate how in English there is a word that has like three different meaning or spellings. Why can’t English be easy and not so confusing. Although a great amount of time has passed I as a teenager still struggled with writing assignments given to me by my professor due to not knowing where I must fix my grammar and punctuation mistakes. As a student I have learned to accept the fact that every little mistake we make, we are bound to learn from it no matter how difficult and challenging that my sound. Mistakes help me learn as a student by making me work harder and asking myself what I did wrong to get that question wrong.

In conclusion growing up as a kid, I didn’t have a childhood like the other kids. My childhood was different because English wasn’t my first language thus reading and writing became a chore. Although I hated reading and writing, I eventually began to like it because I learned that everything in society uses writing in reading.